Started Sep 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,473Gear list
Like?
Re: The Advantages of DR400 vs DR200 vs DR100 - High Contrast Scene
In reply to Elyharbour, Sep 5, 2013

Elyharbour wrote:

OK think I've got it. Let me put it into my own words:

DR100 does nothing. DR200/400 drops the EV by -1/-2, then uses ISO signal amplification up to 400 to bring the shadows and mid-tones back up to 0EV, but not the highlights which it adjusts to keep under 0EV. This is at a sensor output level (not just JPEG processing) so is available in the RAW files as well.

How did I do? 5/10, 8/10, or 10/10 (surely not)

8 out of 10.

In the X20 the highlights are dropped only in the JPEG through software manipulation - it's not sensor output and it is not transferred to the RAW.

If broadly speaking I understand this now, then the downside of say DR400 on the smaller X20 sensor, would be higher shadow noise than if I'd used DR100 / ISO100? Maybe not a real life issue, but theoretically am I correct?

Actually, the shadow noise is the same when all the lowlights are at the same level.  To see them you need to lift them back up in each shot by about 2EV.  Since the DR400 is under-exposed by 2EV and then brought up by 2EV, its output level is exactly the same as the DR100 shot which is not under-exposed, and thus not lifted in-camera.

The only thing you notice is that the DR400 shot is slightly less saturated as the ISO rises.

PS - please don't bill me in Oz dollars. Our poor unloved pounds don't go very far these days 

Our $ has dropped so I need more more than ever... 

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow