Heated debate about 17mm/1.8

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,481Gear list
Like?
Re: Where is the heat.?
In reply to tt321, 10 months ago

tt321 wrote:

Let me make a hitherto unmade or under-made point: Have you noticed that the 35mm FoV is usually covered with competent but non-stellar primes if you look at almost any system? Even expensive items such as the 24/1.8 E-mount fail to really impress. Before the appearance of the recent Sigma 35mm/1.4 for FF, almost no truly 1st class testers have emerged at this FoV. The 17/1.8 is just very normal, competent but no MTF king.

Now that you mentioned it, it is interesting. No one I know of has made a truly 1st class 35mm equiv lens in recent times with the exception of the Sigma and some very niche expensive lenses that have various limitations like manual focusing, like the CV. Maybe the new Fuji 23mm f/1.4 will do something about that. I really doubt it is due to lack of technology, but even the Zeiss Distagon 35mm f/1.4 falls a little short. Strange. So, what do you think the reason for that is?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow