Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,402Gear list
Like?
Re: Where is the heat.?
In reply to tt321, 7 months ago

tt321 wrote:

boris Fincheltub wrote:

dv312 wrote:

For the 17mm 1.8 is my main lens on the EPL5 and its purpose in life, street and all around shooting

It replaced my trusted 20mm and I much prefer it to the latter

It's sharp, has fast AF, is built like an expensive lens, and looks exquisite

Only nitpick I see is I wish it's a bit flatter like the 17mm f2.8

As it is , it looks a bit large on the EPL5 but fits the EP3 much better

I wouldn't worry much about any debate about the lens if your goal is to have an excellent all around lens on your MFT camera

Cheers

Its funny, a heated debate when there was not debate at all, everyone is happy with this lens, if you prefer the sony tnats fine too but dont make us loose time

There is always tribal behaviour. The other thread where there was a heated debate was people arguing that the 17/1.8 was sub-par compared with other M43 lenses, and tests were quoted to make that case. That was internal M43 affairs so to speak. This here is invoking non-M43 comparison so people's attitude could have subtly changed. In any case people have said what they had to say in the previous thread and nobody was able to persuade anyone to change their positions so why bother again...

Apparently some owners are still very unhappy about their lens being criticised and have to seek comfort from other owners, so much so another thread was created to talk about this.

The other thread (people should read it if they have not) started as a discussion about the situation of the 17mm lens, with nothing outstanding in spite of 7 or 8 lenses in M43 for general purposes. I even acknowledge that the 17mm /1.8 seemed to be the best for that, but the owner defenders quickly turn that into a debate about this specific lens. So funny. You have to wonder why there is such a big reaction, if they are indeed so happy with their lens purchase, as they keep claiming. These owners took it upon themselves to get worked up and offended when all those lenses were criticised. You have to wonder why? I did not see much reaction by all the other lens owners whether it is the CV 17mm/0.95 or the 20mm f/1.7. Could it be that they feel the criticisms were valid, in spite of their proclaimed "happiness" about it?

All the talk about people not owning the lens or not having used the lens is meaningless. All my arguments were based on reviewers comments and also on some critical owners/users' comments about the flaws of that lens. So, I was not the original criticising person.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow