The Advantages of DR400 vs DR200 vs DR100 - High Contrast Scene

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,413Gear list
Like?
Re: The Advantages of DR400 vs DR200 vs DR100 - High Contrast Scene
In reply to Elyharbour, 10 months ago

Elyharbour wrote:

Trevor, I really don't understand what DR is doing. Having read this thread I tried some tests myself today. I used the DR bracketing option on my X20 and aperture priority mode.

You might have missed the important requirement that your scene must have a reasonable amount of image data which will expose above 0EV.

A better way to analyse might be to try this:

Set Auto ISO to 400

Set Auto DR

Aim your camera at what you think is a high contrast scene and see if ISO changes. As ISO changes to 200 you will probably also  get DR200.  As ISO changes to 400 you will probably also get DR400.  However, there is no guarantee of this

Here's an example - I started with Auto DR400 and Auto ISO400 and aimed as I have along the platform. Much to my surprise all shots from -2EV to +2EV were at DR400, which meant that the ISO was also boosted.

Here is DR400 at 0EV and 1/500s - all the following images are screenshot at the default RAW settings in Silkypix, without adjusting exposure:

Next I panned to the left to see how quickly ISO would drop to 200, at which point DR200 would appear.  Here is the result:

And finally, I panned further left until ISO dropped to 100, at which point I also got a DR100 shot:

I haven't used Auto DR before or Auto ISO very much, either.  This was just a test to see what would happen - I was impressed, because I thought shutter speed would have to drop to the changeover setting set in the Setup menu.  But it didn't.

Conclusion: Auto DR and Auto ISO400 worked well together on these shots.

Thanks for your help on this...it's got me really puzzled.

Without seeing some of your images it's hard to guess what might have happened.

BTW I have been trying to make this post for the last 6 hours or so, but worked has intervened.

<Edit> Please note that I messed up the labels on the images - they should say Auto ISO400 and Auto DR, but I incorrectly labelled them Auto DR400 (you cannot set the level in Auto) and just Auto ISO (should have said Auto ISO 400, which was the upper limit).

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow