Started Sep 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
lighthunter80
Regular MemberPosts: 347Gear list
Like?
Re: Both sides of the debate?
In reply to honeyiscool, Sep 5, 2013

honeyiscool wrote:

Let's remember that the two sides of the debate are:

17mm f/1.8 owners who, by and large, like the lens.

vs.

People who have never used the 17mm f/1.8 and assume that it is bad, based on certain cherry picked reviews.

Hardly a worthwhile debate.

I don't understand all this debate about this lens...

I used over the past years a lot of Canon pro gear (some of the best L primes) and really don't have an issue with the Oly 17/1.8. It is a very fine lens due to its super fast af, robust and clever design (snap mf). I own this lens since Jan 2013 and I can compare with what I have used in the past years. So I think that I know what a good lens is and what's not.

The only flaw I can see it's a bit pricy (maybe $100 too much if you ask me). I really cannot even say it is not sharp. I never hesitate to use it at f1.8. I might have seen sharper results at this aperture (e.g. my Sigma 85/1.4) but we are talking about pixel peeping here. Any of my images at f1.8 and on say A4 paper would look just great (technically).

If you haven't tried the lens, don't pre-judge it. If you have tried it and don't like it, then get something else and move on with live.

lighthunter80's gear list:lighthunter80's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Olympus PEN E-P5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow