Started Sep 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,803Gear list
Like?
Re: The best online learning source for Lightroom
In reply to henk05, Sep 5, 2013

henk05 wrote:

Hi all,

I'm considering joining an online leaning center to teach me more about learning Lightroom. I leaning towards the NAPP training site, but of course there are more sites like Lynda.com, Video2brain that I know off.

I was wondering what you guys consider to be the best online learning website. I have some (basic) skills in Lightroom and Photoshop, but I would like to get more out of Lightroom and ultimately, my pictures.

In addition to the Adobe and Julieanne Kost sites already mentioned I think these are some of the best tutorials I have found.

The first thing you have to do with Lightroom is set up a file storage scheme and a Lightroom cataloging scheme. There are multiple ways to set up a cataloging scheme so think hard first then go with the system that will work best for you.

Matt Kloskowski - No Time To Get Organized in Lightroom? Then Don’t! | Lightroom Killer Tips

B&H - Tim Cooper - Adobe Lightroom: The Library Module, Order from Chaos - YouTube

B&H - Tim Grey - Getting Started With Lightroom 5

B&H - Tim Grey - Organizing Photos with Adobe Lightroom - YouTube

Scott Kelby Guest Blog - Seth Resnick - Lightroom Keywording in the Library Module

Once you get the Library under control then it is time to start post processing.

B&H - Tim Grey - Optimizing and Sharing Photos With Lightroom 5

B&H - Tim Grey - Optimizing Photos in Lightroom - YouTube

AdobeTV - Terry White - How To Do A Complete Portrait Retouch in Lightroom 5

Serge Ramelli - PLP # 40 - New Lightroom 5 beta retouching tutorials - YouTube

These aren't free courses but a slightly modified approach to that taken by Jack Davis is what I have found to be most effective.  Of course you must remain flexible and alter the flow as necessary.

CreativeLIVE - Jack Davis - Lightroom 5

CreativeLive - Jack Davis - The Five Step Tango Global Optimizing

And here is Jack Davis' slightly modified Five Step Tango, which includes Contrast adjustment.

5 Step Tango for Lightroom by
Jack Davis

1. WB and Crop

2. Auto [Undo]

3. Exposure
Clarity
Shadows
Highlights

4. Whites
Blacks

5. Vibrance
(Contrast if necessary)
Vignette

I haven't had time to watch these but they might be helpful.

B&H - Robert Rodreguez - Master the Lightroom 5 Print Module

B&H - Scott Kelby - Quick Tips in Lightroom 5

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow