Heated debate about 17mm/1.8

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
arturio10
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
Re: Heated debate about 17mm/1.8
In reply to Alexis D, 7 months ago

The debate was a completely ludicrous one. I wouldn't bother wading through miles of inane sniping and back chat. Total waste of time. The OP admitted that he had not used the 17mm 1.8 and took exception to other posters questioning his wisdom in trusting figures alone. Nuff said.

In other words, a variation on the tedious meme that recurs repeatedly in this kind of forum.

My experience of the lens in question is that it is a great lens to use. I have used sharper lenses, and have used softer ones, but I really like the rendering, and find it to be the best street lens I have ever used.

This is only my experience, however, I had the Panasonic 20 for  a while but exchanged it for the Olly, simply because I was missing so many shots, and I had a real issue with the noise the 20 makes when it focuses.

The 20 was definitively sharper, but useless for my way of working.

It's all about compromise though, isn't it? The most beautiful files I have got out of a camera are still from the D700 with a 50 f1.4 lens, but I really can't use that as a street camera. m43 is perfect for the street, but it is a compromise.

I get beautiful shots with the 17, and zone focus a lot, mostly with it set to f5.6.

When used like this it gets out of the way and does its job, as all good equipment does - an absolute joy.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow