Started Sep 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Alexis D
Regular MemberPosts: 414
Re: Heated debate about 17mm/1.8
In reply to marike6, Sep 5, 2013

marike6 wrote:

gotompoes wrote:

I am rather spoiled, i have a Leica M9 and the Sony RX1 and pleasantly surprised about the file quality of the Sony RX 100II. I need a micro four third camera for the AF speed and love the Olympus E P5.
Unfortunately the kit with the 17 mm does not work for me. A bad copy ??

I don't think it's a case of the bad copy as reviews of the 17 f/1.8 have been a bit disappointing.

Photozone, a pretty reliable review site wrote: "The Olympus M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8 may not be a stellar performer but it is certainly an interesting lens considering its strengths."

Lenstip had a similar lens test of the 17 f/1.8.

And remember when DPR posted it's "Real World Samples" of the E-P5 / 17 f/1.8 combo. The images were not as crisp as we've come to expect from cameras with that sensor. It's a beautiful lens in terms of build quality, and quick, silent AF, but optically it doesn't seem to dramatically outperform the Olympus 14-42 much at all as far as resolution.

For anyone who is not sure about that debate and is interested in knowing all the details about the quality of this lens, and all the comments/opinions from both sides, here it is.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow