Started Sep 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
azazel1024
Senior MemberPosts: 1,102Gear list
Like?
Re: not a landscape lens
In reply to sigala1, Sep 4, 2013

sigala1 wrote:

Pikme wrote:

The 17 was not designed to be a landscape lens and most of those complaining about it are testing it (or more likely, reading about it) as a landscape lens. I nearly always use mine at f1.8 and it works very well at that aperture for my uses - but I'm not shooting traditional daytime landscapes with it.

I agree with that.

The lens works very well to photograph people at f/1.8 (although one wishes it was f/1.4 to get more bokeh), or other situations where you don't expect the entire photo to be in focus, but you want what you do focus on to be very sharp.

It's not a good landscape lens at wide apertures because of the field curvature. Stopped down to f/6.3, it's at least as good as any m43 zoom lens at that focal length. But I'd highly recommend the 9-18mm as a better landscape lens because it's just as sharp at 17mm (stopped down to f/8), but gives you many other focal lengths as well.

Just how bad a field curvature are we talking? Because at least from most samples I've seen, it isn't much. Sure, if you focused at infinity and f/1.8, the corners aren't going to be sharp, but it seems like if you stopped down to roughly f/2.8 or so, the corners will be in focus then.

Based on whole ton of samples I've seen, the 17/1.8 at infinity and f/2.8 is a fair amount sharper than my 17mm f/2.8, in the center by alot, in the corners by a resonable enough margin. It seems like a resonable landscape lens, if not a superior one, so long as you aren't often shooting landscapes wide open.

-- hide signature --

Many things dealing with Olympus and their OM and Pen cameras, plus my general photography and musings http://omexperience.wordpress.com/

azazel1024's gear list:azazel1024's gear list
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow