Photographer faces law suit

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Gene L.
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,787Gear list
Like?
Re: Christ commanded to render unto Caesar what is Caesar's.
In reply to Clyde Thomas, 10 months ago

Clyde Thomas wrote:

Gene L. wrote:

You have neglected to note that civil disobedience was very present in the early church,

Please site examples. I provided actual scriptures to back up my comments.

beginning with Christ himself who was put to death for claiming to be King of the Jews.

Christ never claimed to be King of the Jews. Please provide a scriptural reference or retract your comment.

Mark 23:3 "So Pilate asked Him, saying, 'Are You the King of the Jews?' And He answered him and said, 'It is as you say.'"

All of His disciples were persecuted and put to death for refusing to adhere to the laws against their religion

Sorry Gene... That's a bit of a stretch, in that Christianity itself was either outlawed, or scorned by mobbing Jews or Pagans. I challenge any Christian to honestly compare refusing to associate with homosexuals as somehow on par with martyrdom in the name of Christ.

Nobody has suggested that one should refuse to associate with homosexuals. It isn't people who have sinned who are condemned, it is people who make a practice of sinning. Have you never read the book or Romans? Rom 1:32 "...those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them."

It's so odd to think that Christ himself hung out with the worst of the worst of that day, healing them, forgiving them... but most modern Christians would no doubt reject their faith if threatened with the lions den or gladiator butchering or crucifixion. Please don't suggest refusal to work with perceived sinners as somehow comparable to a death sentence for being a Christian.

Anyone who has read the book of Acts knows that believers were thrown in prison for refusing to obey the order not to preach. Acts 4:18-20 "And when they had summoned them, they commanded them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. But Peter and John answered and said to them, 'Whether it is right in the sight ofGot to give heed toyou rather than to God, you be the judge: for we cannot stop speaking about what we have seen and heard.'"

In the UK a preacher was arrested for preaching because it offended a lesbian. He was later released, but it shows where things are heading.

Messiah (Christ) did hang out with what would be considered bad people, but not to be like them, but that they would become like Him. What were they told? Go in peace and sin no more (and similar). The point was in repentance from sin (to turn away from) not to tolerate sin in one's midst.

The Christians here have it relatively easy with being the butt of jokes, demeaned as ignorant and arcane, and lightly discriminated against on occasion (yes I know people who have been). Plenty of Christians elsewhere regularly put their life on the line for their faith. Try being a Christian in Syria, Iraq, Pakistan, Nigeria, Indonesia, or Iran.

I'm out of time and will be out the rest of the week. PM me if you need to continue this discussion.

Gene L.'s gear list:Gene L.'s gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 60Da Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow