The Advantages of DR400 vs DR200 vs DR100 - High Contrast Scene

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Elyharbour
Contributing MemberPosts: 583Gear list
Like?
Re: The Advantages of DR400 vs DR200 vs DR100 - High Contrast Scene
In reply to Trevor G, 7 months ago

Trevor, I really don't understand what DR is doing. Having read this thread I tried some tests myself today. I used the DR bracketing option on my X20 and aperture priority mode.

First test was late afternoon sun on a cityscape. It was a bright scene with strong reflections off white buildings and car windscreens in the distance. Some local nearby shadow. I had ISO on Auto. The three bracketed shots set ISO at 100, 200 and 400, but then increased speed accordingly to give the same exposure. I saw little difference between the three, though there was some minor pulling back of the highlights on the LR histogram...barely perceptible though. Was there perhaps insufficient contrast? Is this how DR works (increasing ISO and compensatin with a faster exposure)?

The second test was indoors this evening with an electric light in frame. This time I set ISO at 100 rather than Auto. No increase of ISO occurred during the bracketing this time and the three shots came out with the same speed. The exposures and histograms looked more or less identical, though I could see some diminishing of the light brightness and the appearance of a "star" shape at DR400, so it was doing something to protect the highlights.

In neither case did I see any significant lifting of the shadows.

So this has left me completely confused. What is DR100, 200, 400 actually doing, and should I have seen more difference between the shots? Should it be used with Auto ISO or a fixed setting? Should I just leave DR on Auto as I can't seem to figure-out how to use it?

All the shots were JPEGS as the X20 wouldn't bracket when RAW+JPG was selected.

Thanks for your help on this...it's got me really puzzled.

Elyharbour's gear list:Elyharbour's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X20 Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow