What was your first digital camera?

Started Sep 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,700Gear list
Like?
Re: What was your first digital camera?
In reply to DHedgehog, Sep 4, 2013

My wife bought me a tiny Olympus pocket digital camera, the model designation now "disremembered." It was difficult to hold, and I tended to drop it if I was not very careful, though I managed to keep it from being damaged. Holding it steady, to get an image, was an exercise in frustration. The tiny memory card was also quite easy to fumble. This Olympus has largely sat in its case, unused, for years, a definite set-back, which delayed my love of photography for a considerable period of time. I think my siater-in-law now has it, but she prefers a somewhat larger Canon.

My Casio GZone Type V mobile phone performed quite well as a digital camera phone, as does the Casio Boulder. I have yet to enter the "smart" phone era.

My first personal purchase of a dedicated digital camera was a Sony DSC-H20; I handled a display model at a computer store, and liked its ergonomics, compared to the aforementioned Olympus, and my Kyocera T4 film camera. This camera planted the seed for my interest in trying a DSLR. If I recall correctly, this was about 2009.

The digital camera that "clicked" for me, no pun intended, was a Nikon D300s, a camera issued to my wife by her employer. The ergonomics and controls of this camera really started my enthusiasm for photography; before this point, a camera was a peripheral item. I am now, primarily, a DSLR shooter.

I would shoot with my original Sony again. It is not a bad little camera. I am more likely to put a pancake lens on a DSLR, however, when I want to carry a smaller camera.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon Coolpix A Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow