Film Vs Digital (not the usual question)

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
DenWil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,398
Like?
Re: Film Vs Digital (not the usual question)
In reply to cmc1, 11 months ago

cmc1 wrote:

Personal opinion (I'll state that first before keyboard gangsters attack)

I feel at lot of images posted on-line now are over processed and not a true reflection of the Camera users true skills, abilities or passion for photography.

I am not from the analogue era myself but I know a few people who were trained using film and appear to be far better photographers for it.

I would be interested to know what widely used techniques were used for processing and what are their modern equivalents?

The most common  for me is spotting an  enlargement  with matching toned inks  and now spotting  scans using the clone tool.  A little less obvious is that my B&W negatives have always been  a bit contrasty to balance the cold head enlarger and graded dbl weight paper.  The scanner with its cold light source  seems to mimic that balancing act for a better scan.

Also, wouldn't it be good if there were modern software that limited digital post processing to the same level as film?

I do not see how that is really possible.  They are two completely different processes. Instead of shooting to match the parameters required by the film and the standardized E-6 processing  for  optimum results (creating color transparencies) a digital shooter can create any parameters he likes and then tinker with them endlessly. My scanned images appear   virtually the  same as the positives on the light box and are in fact in need of only  slight adjustments  to account for the screen presentation. That is just the way I choose to work.

It's great to see "straight out the camera, no PP" on posted images

While I tend to abhor HDR, sitcom lighting and much of the heavy handed shadow pulling that goes on  I see a great deal of sensor based work that is quite lovely.  If it takes a bit of  PP to achieve that then so be it.

-- hide signature --

denniswilliams

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow