Film Vs Digital (not the usual question)

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,125
Like?
Re: Film Vs Digital (not the usual question)
In reply to jrtrent, 10 months ago

jrtrent wrote:

TheDman wrote:

Dennis wrote:

cmc1 wrote:

It's great to see "straight out the camera, no PP" on posted images

Not for me; I translate that as "not the best I could do, but I was too lazy to bother with it".

Exactly. Or "I don't know the first thing about post-processing so I will make it sound like I chose not to do it". Sort of like portrait photographers who proudly exclaim that they use "only natural light, not harsh studio light", because they don't have a clue about lighting.

Well, if we're re-translating other people's statements, yours and Dennis's read likes "anyone who doesn't agree with me or do things the way I do is not only lazy and/or incompetent, but also a liar." Is it really so hard to accept that not everyone likes to do things the same way?

Of course people like to do things differently.  And some of them like to do things in lazier ways than others.  I shoot my portraits in natural light. And yes, it's because I have no clue about lighting and am too lazy to bother.  I'm good with that.  If a photographer has better things to do with his time than post process his photos individually, then I can hardly blame him !  I'll readily admit that far better photographers than me shoot jpeg only, never mind the working pros whose time is money.  But they don't typically post "straight out of the camera, no PP" disclaimers on their images.

My post was a reaction to the flawed notion that "straight out of camera, no PP" is somehow more noble; something to look for.  Unless you're specifically looking to see how a camera's jpeg engine works, I see no specific merit in it.  When I read it, I always wonder why the photographer felt the need to mention it (I don't say how I post processed a photo when I post it); it's nothing to brag about and it usually feels apologetic to me.  Along the same lines as "just a quick snap, but wanted to share" or "didn't have a tripod with me".

So, to summarize: I have no issue whatsoever with people shooting jpeg only; I'm lazy about lots of things, including some aspects of photography.  I do question the intent of posting such a comment with their photos (it reads like a disclaimer to me).  But I'll drop that.  I primarily reject the wisdom of anyone ascribing a false sense of purity to SOOC photos.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow