Film Vs Digital (not the usual question)

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,199Gear list
Like?
HDR processing/tone-mapping is where the problem occurs...
In reply to cmc1, 10 months ago

HDR does not have to 'suck', or look like a cartoon.  HDR can be 100% transparent - in other words, HDR can be used to present a scene that looks completely natural and as the eye sees it...it can be used simply to overcome the limitations of the camera sensor's dynamic range, to better capture a scene with strong contrast extremes.  It does not have to be tone-mapped, it does not have to have boosted saturation, it does not need to be tweaked until it's full of halos and glowing outlines, or devoid of contrast and shadows - those are all processing choices a lot of folks want to make.  And I'm completely OK with it if that's the look those artists want to portray and present - it's their photo and they're free to make that choice...even if you may not like that style (I can't say I'm a big fan of impressionism in art, but others love it, and that's their choice!).

I shoot a very high number of HDR shots when doing landscape, architecture, interiors, and night shots...but probably less than 2% of them are processed beyond realism - I admit I very occasionally find myself entertained with the overly-tone-mapped look, but it's a 1 in a 100 thing for me.  Most of the time I use HDR, it's simply to capture a scene and have it look completely natural or realistic...most of the time, noone can tell it's HDR, which is my goal - I like to use it as just another photographic tool alongside exposure controls and other camera tweaks, rather than as a special effects toy.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow