That RAW Troublemaker Again With Files

Started Sep 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,793Gear list
Like?
Re: Or....
In reply to Claudio Galli, Sep 4, 2013

Claudio Galli wrote:

As I have said, I have just right clicked on my mouse and downloaded the Alan image on my desktop, without looking at its size. I have opened this downloaded image in PS and corrected it. Saved and reloaded to the tread.

I do not think I have done anything wrong. I have processed a low res images (the only one I have been able to download), and obviously also the processed image is low res.! I do not think anything would have changed if I have used a higher res image.

That mean you only captured the in thread image. That image is designed to scale for forum viewing purposes and is done automatically by DPReview's site. That is why when you click on the image, you see a different view that offers a loupe and 100% view. DPreview takes all images and converts it to multiple viewing sizes. Alan_S didn't upload that small image file, that was DPReview's doing.

What you want is the original file he uploaded to DPReview. That is the file I was originally viewing and most likely many others were viewing too. This can be found if you click the link under his photo called "original size". That will bring up the larger image.

In my humble opinion, showing how you can adjust the shadows and the highlights of an image has nothing to do with the size of the image you are working on.

Claudio

But it does!  It hides the limitations of JPEG versus RAW.  Since you are adjusting the shadows and highlights, in JPEG you are only adjusting them via an 8-bit scale (up to 256 shades).  Where as with RAW, you are adjusting the highlights and shadows based on a 12-bit (up to 4096 shades) or 14 bit scale (up to 16,384 shades).  The fewer pixels you have, the harder is to see subtle color transitions, clipping, posterization, and more.  Low resolution images hide flaws, plain and simple.  Why do you think people downsize their less than stellar images or even their noisy images? It's not always because they just wanted a smaller file or wanted it to be viewed easier on the web.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow