Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,236Gear list
Like?
Re: Or....
In reply to Claudio Galli, 10 months ago

Claudio Galli wrote:

Dear all,

while I certainly agree that starting from a raw file and having the necessary skills you can arrive at a better image than the OOC jpg, from all these debates JPG vs RAW I have the feeling that the RAW fans quite often start from the concept that once you shoot jpg you cannot do anything to improve your image.

I have right clicked on my mouse and downloaded the first image of Alan. With a quick adjustment of shadows and highlights in Photoshop, I have arrived at a final image that is quite acceptable, even starting from a downloaded and compressed jpg image.

By the way, how do people use their photos for? Only to see them at a computer screen at 100% zoom just to find every possible flaw? In my case I print a photobook every time I make a travel around the world. Believe me, looking at my pictures printed at even a double spread page, it is impossible (at least for me) to see the imperfections that I saw viewing them at 100% zoom on the computer screen.

My humble suggestion: do whatever you want with your pictures (JPG or RAW, it does not matter), but then relax yourself and find a way to enjoy looking at them without bothering too much about the technical aspects.

Best shooting and pixel peeping to you all!

Claudio

It might look acceptable being that you downsized the photo to around .2 MP (yes, less than 1MP), but what does it look like at full size? Were you able to retain the detail and the subtle color changes and shadings? Or does it start to become a mess, which might be why you downsized it so drastically from its 5.2MP original size?

You may argue that we are pixel peeping and that it shouldn't matter. But frankly, it does matter to those of us that print big or work on 24"+ monitors with resolutions that equal or exceed 2MP. I print large and I have a large monitor, so it is valid to me. Your 560x373 image is barely even suitable for web only viewing. If I was to print that image, it would be no larger than a wallet size print (3.5"x2.5") if printing at 180dpi. And I usually prefer printing at 360dpi.

If you try to post something to prove us wrong or to show otherwise, you need to demonstrate it on the same playing field. Otherwise, you will have nothing to backup your claims since all people will see are the discrepancies between your comparisons. In this example, that discrepancy would be the tiny resolution of your images.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow