Film Vs Digital (not the usual question)

Started Sep 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,557Gear list
Like?
Re: Film Vs Digital (not the usual question)
In reply to cmc1, Sep 4, 2013

cmc1 wrote:

Personal opinion (I'll state that first before keyboard gangsters attack)

I feel at lot of images posted on-line now are over processed and not a true reflection of the Camera users true skills, abilities or passion for photography.

I am not from the analogue era myself but I know a few people who were trained using film and appear to be far better photographers for it.

I would be interested to know what widely used techniques were used for processing and what are their modern equivalents?

Also, wouldn't it be good if there were modern software that limited digital post processing to the same level as film?

But that's the rub - many of the features we see in Lightroom are emulating something that was done with film. Dodge and burn was something we did in the darkroom under the enlarger. Exposure and compensation could be dealt with via push / pull processing and or at the enlarger as well. GND filters are still made today, but there is a feature like that in Lightroom. Sharpening is a different animal and an unfortunate result of the digital age.

And before digital-digital, we had scanning. We too transparencies and negatives and scanned them so we could work on them in LightRoom or Photoshop.

Film could look over processed too by the way.

I don't personally think it would be good to limit post processing to the same level as film. That doesn't sound helpful because we're not shooting film. We're shooting digital and it has unique differences.

It's great to see "straight out the camera, no PP" on posted images

BTW, "straight out of the camera, no PP" is not always admirable. Properly exposed RAW images are usually not great to look at and need some post processing to look great.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow