70-400 II produce worst images than version I?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Ralf B
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,171Gear list
Like?
@ Roxanne: Help
In reply to RoxanneY, 11 months ago

RoxanneY wrote:

Hi!

Help! What is the conclusion? Is the G1 version at least as good as the G2, but just with slower AF? I just ordered the G2, but it's on back order so I have a chance to cancel and reorder the G1. I'm getting mine mainly for the distance so that I can shoot choral singing from the back of the room, so I'm not sure that a slower AF would really impact me...and when you guys talk about the AF being slower do you mean just a fraction of a second slower, or seconds slower.What is important is that the pictures be as sharp as they can be esp at 400mm. Is this better on the G1?

Thanks as always for sharing your experience and knowledge!

Roxanne

The conclusion is to look beyond a set of handheld, video screen grab-crops from a web video and listen (=read) the user feedback:

The lenses are the same optically with improved coatings in the G2, which may help in very contrasty shots (counter-light, ...) and the AF acquisition is improved on the G2.

One addition: I assume the re-sell value of the G2 will be higher than that of the G1. besides the faster AF, the white paint may helpĀ 

Cheers,
Ralf

Ralf B's gear list:Ralf B's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A55 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow