Sony NEX-6 Benchmark Test?

Started Sep 1, 2013 | Questions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,972Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony NEX-6 Benchmark Test?
In reply to wfektar, Sep 4, 2013

wfektar wrote:

I don't have this lens so I don't know if it's abnormal. The falloff does look pretty severe, although that's one of the easier things to fix in post. Resolution-wise it looks quite good, although 16mm is clearly not its strength. If you're not pixel-peeping, however, it looks fine even there. And this is a compact zoom -- something somewhere has to give.

It does have a lot of vignetting, but I don't recall it being this bad.  I'm hoping this is just poor lighting from the tester?  I'd say go outside and photograph a brick wall if you want a good flat test (although, I do like the printed text to look at to help judge detail).

It does seem a bit sharper on the right than on the left. That could mean decentering or maybe you just weren't square to the image. How did you square it up? (The classic method is with a small mirror on the target).

BTW, if you focus in the corners can you get sharper corners (at the expense of the center)? If so you have field curvature.

I could be wrong, but I think this lens does have some field curvature, which makes the corners look soft sometimes, even at f8.

It seems you're discovering how thankless a task it is to do lens testing. So maybe I shouldn't add that lenses are designed for certain magnification ranges, and if you were to test at a different magnification you might get different results (eg, I have an OM 75-150 that's quite sharp at medium/medium-close distances and woefully soft at infinity.)

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow