NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,467Gear list
Like?
Re: Nope.
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Sep 4, 2013

Sergey Borachev wrote:

NZ Scott wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

I started another thread about the need for a high-end 17mm lens in M43 yesterday and it reached 150 posts already.

Now, 43rumors is showing a patent for what might just be the lens I was waiting for, an Olympus 15mm f/2.0 and it seems to have a promising design. I hope it is weatherproof.

In what sense is the design promising?

It seems to have a sophisticated design, similar to the 12mm. Just guessing that it is not a cheap lens, and not compromised like a pancake.

The 12/2.0 isn't any better than the 17/1.8.

I don't think this lens will be a premium offering. It doesn't make any sense for Oly to bring out a high-end weathersealed prime that is 1/3 stop slower than the existing 17/1.8.

If Oly does go weathersealed "PRO" at the 17mm focal-length it will be f1.4 or better.

I am hoping it will be an internal focusing one.

The 17/1.8 is alread internal-focusing lens.

To keep the lens small and weathersealed, it might be necessary to limit it to f/2.0.

Certainly to keep it small - such as the 17/1.8, for example, but not to keep it weathersealed.

I expect its IQ will be at least as good as the 12mm f/2.0.

Well yeah, but the 12/2.0 isn't overly fantastic. For example, Panasonic's 7-14 does just as well at 12mm.

See, for example, this comparative review:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_G_7-14mm_f4_H_F007014E/Lumix_7-14mm_vs_Olympus_12mm.shtml

I'm not knocking the 12mm - it's the lens I use the most - but I think you're putting a bit too much store on it being better than the 17.

I should mention here that I own both lenses (the 17/1.8 and 12/2.0, although not the Panny 7-14).

S.

-- hide signature --
 NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Sony QX1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow