Started Sep 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
ianbrown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,937
Like?
Re: Dilemma: A99 vs new Olympus E-M1
In reply to Poulsan, Sep 4, 2013

Hi Mark

I totally understand your dilemma !

I guess only you will know how much "you" are willing to compromise  and it boils down mainly to weight v quality. It's easier to move up the ladder than back down.

I have had may FF cameras so have enjoyed the best IQ but having tried the mirrorless one's I still can't find a compact system camera that meets my own high expectations.

I went to Yosemite and the Grand Canyon last March and took a Canon 6D with a couple of lenses and felt comfortable in the knowledge that only my technique and maybe the weather would stop me from getting good images. However whilst in Vegas I used the Sony RX100 as the 6D would have been over kill for snaps.

Two months later I bought the Fuji XE1 and a couple of primes and the 55-200 and used on a cruise to Russia and the baltic, in the main this camera performed very well but with the 55-200 I was still carrying a little bulk.

I borrowed the A99 last week and with the Zeiss 24-70 it's a beast, however with the 28-75 it's more manageable, however there's always that voice in the back of my head saying why put inferior glass on a FF camera.

Sony A99 demands nice glass but all the primes are heavy and that's the price you pay to get the best IQ and versatility  In focal range.

my guess is you wouldn't be happy compromising quality for weight, after all if you travel to these great locations I would want to know I am getting the best images possible.

Having two systems wouldn't work for me as I would just always take the one that's going to give me the best results, the only possibility is when Sony launch a FF NEX, however remember its not always only about the IQ.

The EVF's on compact system cameras are great but still not quit up to that of the A99. The GH3 is awful and the OMD is better but still not up to OVF or A99, maybe the GX7 maybe the best yet.

So in summary, you can keep the weight down by compromising on the lenses for the A99, maybe 28-75 and 24mm f2 but the other Zeiss lenses are upwards of 900g.

I bet you won't compromise the IQ, but FF means big glass!

Good luck

Ian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow