Film Vs Digital (not the usual question)

Started Sep 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
John1940
Senior MemberPosts: 1,062Gear list
Like?
Re: Film Vs Digital (not the usual question)
In reply to cmc1, Sep 4, 2013

cmc1 wrote:

Personal opinion (I'll state that first before keyboard gangsters attack)

I feel at lot of images posted on-line now are over processed and not a true reflection of the Camera users true skills, abilities or passion for photography.

The most post-processed images I have done are Kodachrome slides from decades ago. Just make TIFFs of them and you can do everything that can be done with RAW from my DSLRs or G15. They are the ones that really need PP, and it works wonders sometimes.

I am not from the analogue era myself but I know a few people who were trained using film and appear to be far better photographers for it.

Not true IMO. They have just been at it longer. It should be a life-long learning experience.

I would be interested to know what widely used techniques were used for processing and what are their modern equivalents?

Forget chemical things. Use Photoshop or something similar. They existed when Kodachrome was old but still king.

Also, wouldn't it be good if there were modern software that limited digital post processing to  the same level as film?

That would be useless. Just shoot JPEG. It's fine for many purposes. Note that it exists in all pro cameras.

It's great to see "straight out the camera, no PP" on posted images

Again, use JPEG. Many or most pros do for some purposes.

John1940

John1940's gear list:John1940's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow