Dilemma: A99 vs new Olympus E-M1

Started Sep 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Seeky
Regular MemberPosts: 483Gear list
Like?
Re: Dilemma: A99 vs new Olympus E-M1
In reply to RichV, Sep 4, 2013

If you are going to use the camera mainly for traveling, I wouldn't buy any FF camera. Think about what you are going to shoot. It is true that a FF DSLR is still the most versatile camera, but you may not need that kind of versatility.

If you are going for the A99 (733g) for traveling, consider not buying the heavy f2.8 zooms, but carry a 70-300G (760g), 24 prime (Zeiss: 555g / Minolta 215g) and that would be enough, maybe add a 50 f1.4 (221g) for walk around purposes. Another option would be a 28-75 f2.8 (587g) combined with the 70-300. Those heavy lenses were never meant to be carried everywhere by consumers to take nice pictures. They aren't necessary either. The above kits are around 2-2.5 kg which is very easy to carry in a backpack.

Important is to realize if you are going to need maximum DOF control or going to shoot in tough and cold conditions. If you are just wanting to travel comfortable, I wouldnt bother with a FF camera. Get a mirrorless camera of your liking with a fast standard zoom or faster primes and a telezoom and be done.

In my opinion, I would still carry an A99, but that is because I don't mind the weight with a good strap, and 1,5 kg camera lens combo isn't heavy for me. I also wouldn't use it solely for traveling, so my main camera needs to be versatile. I would carry it because I want the DOF control, ergonomics, and those good old Minolta lenses are so cheap compared to all the new mirrorless stuff.

Seeky's gear list:Seeky's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow