RAW Troublemaker Again

Started Aug 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
JamieTux
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,821Gear list
Like?
I give up
In reply to Gary Eickmeier, Sep 4, 2013

I'm not really sure what your agenda is now so this is my last response on this thread - I first though that you were genuinely looking for help and trying to increase your knowledge, now it feels like you are looking for a fight, I'm answering on the off-chance that it is the former)

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

#1) NO! I am not one of those who shoot 2000 images in a day - any day. That is a sign of a neurotic photographer who can't decide if he got the shot or not. Unless you are doing multiple shot mode, there is no conceiveable reason to shoot that many.

I think that even shooting all day motorsports events I maxed out at around 1000 in a day - but that doesn't mean it's wrong for everyone - especially if you are covering from the bride getting ready, through the ceremony, formals, meals, speeches and reception/evening and want to make sure you've covered every guest and the whole day - each to their own!

#2) How in Hades can anyone shoot perfect white balance and exposure with 2000 images in a single day? If you are not tweaking and correcting your photos for all of the things that can happen to throw those off a little, how can you show them to anyone? Explain how one setting in any program can process them all. Are you doing some sort of Auto WB and Auto Exposure in RAW processing? Not looking at every single image? Yikes. Maybe there is a whole technology that I have yet to learn.

In a studio it's easy - you do what I already told you (create a profile for the shoot at the beginning of the day for colour response and white balance and then apply it to everything) - you have control over the camera, model, light, background, etc.
If you are covering an event you can do something similar for each part of the event or each type of lighting (but most won't because that's overkill).
You can also change the colour balance in post to a setting for each section - then just concentrate on the outliers.

Another alternative is to trust the camera to get it right enough and then tweak where required - it doesn't need to be perfect (and who defines what perfection is anyway?) it needs to be consistent and realistic (and sometimes not even that) as a starting point.

It wasn't that long ago that everyone was using film (and some very expensive wedding photographers still are) and editing shots individually was not an option.

As for exposure - you should know your camera well enough for that to not be an issue if you are charging people (I'm not trying to say that every frame will be "perfect" (that word again!) but they should be consistent and if you know your cameras metering well enough why wouldn't you use it?  I always have at least one light meter in my bag - why's that any better than the one in my camera if I understand them both?

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

The thing that is getting to me is that you describe jpegs as a panacea, then dictate what edits you need to do (that you can't do easily to a jpeg) to get an image.  So which is it Gary?  Every shot that every pro takes has to be a masterpiece with you taking complete control over every step of the process or you let the camera create your end product with you giving up creative control of the whole picture developing process?

JamieTux's gear list:JamieTux's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ChetNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow