Started Sep 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,739Gear list
Like?
Re: Logical lens set....
In reply to Guy Parsons, Sep 4, 2013

Guy Parsons wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

Seriously? There IS a reason why certain focal lengths are considered classics.

I'm pretty content with my set of equivalents: 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 40mm, 50mm, 70mm, 85mm, 100mm, 120mm, 150mm, 210mm, 270mm, 400mm, 600mm. Not to mention native M4/3 zooms.

Of course, I only carry a few at a time…

Basically with digital the game has changed. We were sort of locked into certain focal lengths in film days because most times we were shooting slides and they are a pain to crop later.

Now with digital and high MP counts the old series of prime focal lengths is not so important, much more easy to frame maybe a little sloppily and then fine tune the crop at leisure later.

Cropping? That's another issue entirely. It's certainly not composition, which seems to be a lost discipline.

I shot slides, too, but whether shooting slides or drawing, was taught to compose using the entire page/frame. Even when shooting with a less than ideal or unfamiliar focal length, I'll try to see and compose in such a way to take advantage of what I'm seeing through the lens, not rely on "cleaning it up" later. It's often challenging, but ultimately worth the effort.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow