Maybe this is it !!!

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Guitarfish64
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Like?
Re: It's about habits and coping with changes
In reply to Sergey Borachev, 11 months ago

Sergey Borachev wrote:

The main problem, and only for the older ones, is that some of us have got old habits and some fixed 135mm film FLs and their properties fixed in our brains, including me. At least M43's cropping factor is easy to use when we encounter an unfamiliar FL and have to convert to a new equivalent number to compare with old references to know what we are dealing with. Having used a Pentax DSLR before, I found it a challenge for old brains to deal with APSC crop factors sometimes, e.g. in such arithmetic as 1.5 x 43mm, or 1.5 x 77mm,

This is one of the many advantages of M43 over APS-C, an easy to use crop factor.

A very valid point! Human attachment to the familiar is a factor in many things, including the recent debate in another thread about 'Field of View' vs 'focal length' as a useful way of categorising lenses (which would avoid the need for many 'crop factor' discussions / calculations). But I accept many long-term enthusiasts find it much easier to make sense of this new-fangled system by relating back to one that is more familiar.

Meanwhile, in a parallel universe, M43 has tempted some of us to 'up-scale' from compact P&S to an interchangeable lens system that doesn't consume half our baggage allowance when we travel. While I empathise with your perspective, I have no legacy glass and the 'classic' focal lengths have no intuitive meaning for me.

To help me learn from the wealth of information available here and at other places, my inner-geek is gradually building an understanding of what to expect from a '35mm FF equivalent' etc.

But... I would find it much easier to just learn this new-ish system in its own terms, rather than learning about a legacy system that I've never owned (and barely handled) to be able to understand it's replacement (just teasing about the 'replacement', before I'm flamed for that...)

So my vote would go to a set of focal lengths that are optimal for this system, without necessarily basing these on film 'classics', but also to use of 'FoV' as a more user-friendly way of describing their characteristics which is interchangeable across any sensor size.

Of course, I'm grudgingly coming to terms with the fact that the world doesn't give a rat's wotsit about my opinion, but I'm pretty sure home-computers became mainstream by making it easier for new adopters, not by making them do tricky maths!

Guitarfish64's gear list:Guitarfish64's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow