E-M1 Video Specs - Everyone loses

Started Sep 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Promit
Senior MemberPosts: 1,265Gear list
Like?
Re: E-M1 Video Specs - Everyone loses
In reply to Learning in Progress, Sep 4, 2013

Learning in Progress wrote:

Sorry to disappoint you, but I am glad to be able to film in 1080p the way it is with my E-M5, but I don't need anything better for video. As long as the picture quality, the lens quality is there... That is all that I am asking for.

When I read posts like this, I assume that the person in question hasn't actually watched any video taken by an EM5. I am also amused by the people insisting that the EM1 doesn't need "professional" video.

I don't think the EM1 needs pro quality video, though I would greatly appreciate it. I also don't think Olympus video right now is okay. There's something horribly wrong with the current codec that causes the entire image to disintegrate into macroblocked disaster at the drop of a hat. Canon and Sony don't do this despite similar bitrates.

At this point, "not catastrophically terrible" would be an acceptable bar for the E-M1 video output. I am not feeling optimistic though. On the bright side the EM5 video is better than the EP3 in several respects, so progress is something.

I do all my video work on SLT right now, for the record.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a77 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow