What was your first digital camera?

Started Sep 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 12,070Gear list
Like?
Chinon ES-1000
In reply to DHedgehog, Sep 4, 2013

In 1997 I bought a no-name ES-1000, which turned out to be from Chinon. In the 1960s and 1970s the brand was familiar to Super-8 home-cine buyers. It cost me NZ$ 300.-. It see3med worth a try since a few years before I had bought an Olympus IS-2000 all-in-one 35mm SLR for $1200.-.

The Chinon ES-1000 had only an internal memory, good for 8 pictures at fine quality and 16 pictures for normal quality. I now regret I shot at normal quality - this example is at maximum resolution -

I darkened the midtones on this one.

The ES-1000 had an optical tunnel view finder and no LCD, but the single throw-away Lithium battery lasted for months in my actual use. The guy who bought it off me used it to document his tour through all the British folk festivals in 1998 (he relayed his reports complete with photos from phone booths near the festival sites). Afterwards when in Canada the camera died on him. When he told me after his return I asked him - 'Did you change the battery?' 'What battery!' was his reply.

There is some folk stuff in my gallery here -

http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner/henry01

I have just learnt that this camera was better known as a Kodak DC20.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow