Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 19,260Gear list
Like?
Re: Logical lens set....
In reply to jeffharris, Sep 4, 2013

jeffharris wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Now, 43rumors is showing a patent for what might just be the lens I was waiting for, an Olympus 15mm f/2.0 and it seems to have a promising design. I hope it is weatherproof.

http://www.43rumors.com/olympus-15mm-f2-0-patent/comment-page-1/#comment-343240

Maybe it represents some Olympus original thought.

Instead of sticking to the boring film days standard set of primes of 28/35/50 (equivalents) etc, maybe they are trying to get a more logical set of lenses established, suitable for the 21st century.

Seriously? There IS a reason why certain focal lengths are considered classics.

I'm pretty content with my set of equivalents: 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 40mm, 50mm, 70mm, 85mm, 100mm, 120mm, 150mm, 210mm, 270mm, 400mm, 600mm. Not to mention native M4/3 zooms.

Of course, I only carry a few at a time…

Basically with digital the game has changed. We were sort of locked into certain focal lengths in film days because most times we were shooting slides and they are a pain to crop later.

Now with digital and high MP counts the old series of prime focal lengths is not so important, much more easy to frame maybe a little sloppily and then fine tune the crop at leisure later. So time for a new set of numbers for focal lengths.

But then maybe I am being too logical, a trait that does not appear too often in the photographic community. Mostly it seems about nostalgia.

Again if a "normal" lens is so important then base the series on the M4/3 diagonal of about 22mm and expand up and down from there in root 2 steps. Hey, my set hovered around 21mm so that's close enough.

Regards....... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow