Maybe this is it !!!

Started Sep 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,668Gear list
Like?
Re: Bring on a logical lens set....
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Sep 4, 2013

Sergey Borachev wrote:

OK, Anders. I understand what you are saying. We all have different requirements.

Regarding a 15mm being too close to 12mm, it is also a subjective thing and your needs are different from mine. In FF terms, these are 30mm and 24mm lenses respectively. Not really so close for many people I think, if we consider the traditional lens FLs of 21mm, 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm etc. I am hoping that this 15mm will be weatherproof, which will distinguish it further from the 12mm, and therefore more useful in that sense than all the existing wide primes.

Like many, I grew up with those traditional FLs and have a good feel of their FOV, DOF etc, but change is sometimes worthwhile. I also grew up with 9/16 inch, 1/2 inch, 3/8 inch etc and could tell by looking at most common nuts what size they were and I grab the right wrench without checking if it is indeed a 3/8 or whatever, but that's a long time ago. I am not opposed to changes, when it makes sense. The 15mm can be the new 17mm, as far as I am concerned (given the big resolution improvements we have since). I hope Olympus would release a high-end 25mm as rumoured, and then follow up with a 10mm, and make them weatherproof. They would go well together as the new PRO lenses, and solve some problems with using Panasonic lenses on Olympus cameras (less CA, rattlesnaking and purple spots, and carrying/paying for a redundant OIS).

I just realised that many people here are still using those ancient 3/8 inch etc. 

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow