Photographer faces law suit

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Gene L.
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,787Gear list
Like?
Re: Photographer faces law suit
In reply to timo, 7 months ago

timo wrote:

I can understand why some people might be a bit irritated by the lawsuit, but do you think the photographer would have been justified in refusing to cover a wedding because the couple was black? The answer is obviously no. So.

Gay activists can be a strident pain, and no doubt this couple are having a whale of a time proving their point. But the photographer was behaving like an idiot. And is no doubt also having a whale of a time trying to prove a point.

-- hide signature --

tim

A wedding photographer is an active participant in the event. It is a clear violation of one's morality to participate in an act that one believes to be wrong. Should one be forced to do so because of civil law? From a religious standpoint I say no. From a legal standpoint I think the courts are deciding this now. When the dust settles I suspect that things will not probably not bode well for Christians, especially considering how many of today's social mores strongly oppose the teachings of the Judeo-Christian bible.

I don't know enough law to figure out if one can reject working for certain people groups for religious or any other reason, but if the case law sets a precedent against doing so, then there will be some photographers who will have to make some very difficult choices.

From an artistic perspective, I think most (if not all) artistic photographers could not produce their top work if the subject were found to be appalling. A good photographer could still produce good product, but probably not their best. It would only be fair that a potential client were warned that it was not a good fit. I certainly know of photographers who have refused work when the potential client was not a good fit for their style. In fact, books on wedding photography sometimes mention this. I would think that one could refuse on these grounds (but suspect the end result would be the same law suit).

Gene L.'s gear list:Gene L.'s gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 60Da Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow