can't believe my 5R has lost almost half value in 7 months

Started Sep 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,301Gear list
Like?
Tell this to Nikon D600 customers with the D610 ahead ;-)
In reply to Sir Punk, Sep 3, 2013

Sir Punk wrote:

I have been reading a bit the news on nex rumors and I happened to noticed a post about the 5R being sold for $429

I bought my 5R at the end of January for $700 and now it's probably worth $300 on the used market. I know how much technology depreciates but also my experience with other expensive digital cameras I have owned (one example to LX3) was that the value wouldn't go down so sharply. Not even a year has gone by.

This makes me reconsider Sony for my next purchase of a digital camera with such short product life.

What are people thoughts on this matter? I am quite upset about it. I always sell my gear and reinvest that money to buy new one but this 5R is going to be quite a financial loss.

(1) I understand your frustration.  I'm very much at the opposite end of the spectrum i.e. don't care about riding the wave, but I can understand your frustration.

(2) this being said, the fact that a new camera model comes out, a bit sooner than expected perhaps, and with marginally useful new features, does NOT make your camera suddenly unable to take good pictures.  So while there indeed might be a financial loss, IF you decide to buy the new model, well at least there is zero functional loss.
I bought a Nikon D7000 DSLR back in 2012, on this Nikon followed their usual 2 year cycle, the D7100 is out and it has more mp's, no AA filter, but for the rest it's really pretty much the same camera so if I bought it if would bring me NOTHING.  So I'm happy to stay with my D7000.

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow