Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,361
Like?
Re: E-M1 Video Specs - Everyone loses
In reply to mpgxsvcd, 10 months ago

mpgxsvcd wrote:

honeyiscool wrote:

I think these numbers are hogwash. E-PM2 has higher bitrates than every one of those settings except the 24 Mbps.

Bit rate is not everything. There is a whole lot more to compression than just bit rate. All the GH2 hackers will lead you to believe that all I frame is the only choice you should ever consider. However, all I frame is rarely better unless you are using ridiculous bit rates(ie: 180+ mb/sec) that most memory cards can’t handle.

The GH3 achieves the best compression by using an entirely new compression scheme. It stills conforms to the H.264 specs but it is a much higher level and more efficient scheme. If they use a very efficient compression scheme then 24 mb/sec might be ok. However, even with a super-efficient scheme I still think the 50 mb/sec of the GH3 will be better.

After 50 mb/sec with a very efficient scheme the difference is not as significant.

Lack of 1080, or even 70P/60 is also disappointing, if true.  Crazy, IMO, considering what a boon 5-axis IBIS would be for video if other specs were up to snuff (including a flat color profile, please).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow