Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,718Gear list
Like?
Re: RX100 over hyped?
In reply to larsbc, 11 months ago

larsbc wrote:

photofan1986 wrote:

Could you post a couple of samples maybe? From what I've seen, the Sony is overhyped. It has a very impressive sensor but a quite disappointing lens. Almost any other high end compact camera has better lens sharpness (in the corners and edge of the image).

To some extent, I agree with you.  The edges of my RX100 II aren't very impressive, and make it a less than ideal choice for landscapes.  But the 1" sensor coupled with the small camera size, and the 20mp resolution, more than makes up for the lens' shortcomings.

This is the first P&S I've had where, when evaluating the images, I am comparing it to m43 and APS-C cameras, instead of P&S cameras.

My girlfriend owns the first RX100 and it is an excellent camera. I've had a chance to shoot with it a couple of times and run raw files through adobe camera raw. The one thing I notice, the highlight headroom is very narrow compared to E-M5 raw files. I can nudge into the clipped areas of the histogram with an E-M5 file and easily recover it and assume the same would be true of E-P5 raw files. You can dig a little into overexposed areas of an RX100 raw file, but not very far before there's nothing to get, but you can really pull up shadows with RX100 raw files and wind up with great results with little in terms of shadow noise problems.

That and the wider depth of field from the smaller RX100 files are the differences I have noticed. If i really needed something as small as the RX100, that's definitely what I would buy. Shooting raw and exposing the files carefully, the results can be quite excellent.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow