can't believe my 5R has lost almost half value in 7 months

Started Sep 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
lenshoarder
Contributing MemberPosts: 601
Like?
Re: can't believe my 5R has lost almost half value in 7 months
In reply to Sir Punk, Sep 3, 2013

Sir Punk wrote:

I have been reading a bit the news on nex rumors and I happened to noticed a post about the 5R being sold for $429

I bought my 5R at the end of January for $700 and now it's probably worth $300 on the used market. I know how much technology depreciates but also my experience with other expensive digital cameras I have owned (one example to LX3) was that the value wouldn't go down so sharply. Not even a year has gone by.

This makes me reconsider Sony for my next purchase of a digital camera with such short product life.

What are people thoughts on this matter? I am quite upset about it. I always sell my gear and reinvest that money to buy new one but this 5R is going to be quite a financial loss.

Actually 2 days ago the 5R bottomed out at $315 new.

I don't see what the problem is. A camera is not gold, it's not meant to hedge against inflation. It's meant to be used. Does it work any differently now? If not, enjoy it.

The 5R has held up very well. It's only going down now because Sony is clearing the stable for the 5T. If it wasn't doing that then the price wouldn't go down. If the 5N is an example, then expect used 5R prices to rise after the clearance. The 5N sells more used now then it did when it was new at the end.

For an example of price pain, look no further than Panasonic. Th GX1 was $600 when it came out. Then the price quickly dropped to $249 without even a clearance sale. The same with the LX7. $500 down to $199.

There's a lesson here. Buy a new model at the end of it's cycle not at the beginning if losing value bothers you.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow