can't believe my 5R has lost almost half value in 7 months

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Puddleglum
Regular MemberPosts: 257
Like?
Re: 7 months *is* unusual for a Sony camera
In reply to marike6, 10 months ago

marike6 wrote:

It does seem unusual that any Sony camera would drop so significantly in price in such a short time.

The RX-100, for example, hasn't dropped at all in price (it's still 650 USD) and version two has already shipped. The NEX-7 did not drop in price after all this time.

AFAIK, The NEX-5N remained at full price for it's entire lifespan. I was waiting for it's price to drop to snap one up, and that never happened.

So knowing that Sony rarely, if ever, reduces prices on their cameras, why do you guys think the NEX-5R price dropped so quickly?

What made the NEX-5R different for the above models that still are selling at full price?

This time last year (just ahead of the NEX-5R's release), the NEX-5N was available at nice discounts in the US. I want to say Amazon had it with a kit lens for $500. Another factor is that the MSRP of the NEX-5T w/lens is $50 lower than the 5R, and it has the PZ kit lens on top of that.

So, last year, NEX-5N was being sold for NEX-5R MSRP minus $250 (750/500). This year, the NEX-5R is being sold for NEX-5T MSRP minus $250 (700/450). Basically the situation is the same.

For the RX-100, street price is at $600 now. The mk ii MSRP went up by $100 so that partially explains the lack of a significant price drop.

It is a bit surprising that Sony has not lowered the price on the NEX-7 a little by now, but is their flagship NEX model.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow