can't believe my 5R has lost almost half value in 7 months

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,100Gear list
Like?
Everybody's math is different. Mine is...
In reply to Sir Punk, 10 months ago

Here's how my math works.

I buy a camera.  Let's say it costs $600.  I take photos with it, which bring me great pleasure.  I'm going to say, very conservatively, that every photo I snap averages out to at least 10 cents of pleasure.  Some might be $5-10 worth of pleasure, others might be $0...so I'm conservatively averaging it out.  Over a year, I'll take roughly 15,000 photos with that camera.  So after 1 year, I've gotten about $1,500 worth of pleasure and fun out of that camera, that cost me $600.  It's value might have dropped to $250, even $200, for resale purposes, but since I'm already $900 ahead in the pleasure it has given me, I've already turned a profit from the camera, even if I give it away to a friend or family member.

Now, if I was buying the camera to sit unopened in its box, and using it as an investment vehicle to fund my future retirement, hoping to resell it at a profit that outpaces inflation, I admit I think I'd be sorely disappointed.  Fortunately, that's not what I buy them for, so all works out beautifully in the end.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow