ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
photofan1986
Senior MemberPosts: 2,184Gear list
Like?
Question on Panasonic 14-42 II
10 months ago

Hi,

I'm looking for a very sharp kit lens for my OMD, but don't want to spend too much on something like the 12-35 2.8 or the new Olympus 12-40, because I already have a couple of fast primes for low light (14 2.5, 25 1.4 and 45 1.8). What I would like is a compact standard zoom lens for casual outside use, so the "slowness" of the kit lens is ok for this use.

At the moment, I have the Olympus 14-42 IIR, but I'm must say I'm quite disappointed with the sharpness. It's actually quite good from 14 to 25mm, but then sharpness decreases quite significantly. It needs to be stopped down past f/8.0 for just decent results.

What I'm wondering is if the new Panasonic 14-42II is a sharper lens all around, or if an old 14-45 is still a better bet. Also, there seem to be 2 versions of the lens: one with a metal mount and another with a plastic mount. Are there any other differences?

If someone has samples to share, I'd be happy!

Thanks in advance!

photofan1986's gear list:photofan1986's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +7 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow