GH3 low light indoor acrobatic show

Started Sep 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 33,096Gear list
Like?
Re: GH3 low light indoor acrobatic show
In reply to Pete Berry, Sep 3, 2013

Pete Berry wrote:

!Mein Gott! fellow, you're really swimming upstream and onto the rocks here! First, you have no idea what my monitor shows, do you, except that I told you I see only shades of grey in the shirt with some detail

And I believe that is all I attributed to you, isn't it ...

where you tell me you see white blown out - which is 255/255/255 in my book.

It is simply a bright white ... it cannot be 255 since Photoshop does not show that according to you. But it is a brightly lit white short under concert lighting, which means it should not be grey as you are seeing it.

It takes no extrapolation to know what your description means ...

And measuring the numbers confirm that this is not the case, and the grey is not uniform, with some gradation shown.

Trivial amounts of detail ... even creases disappear into the flat area.

I've selected all of the shirt, as well as the shirt of the woman to check the histogram, which shows a very low percentage of blown pixels, with 99% falling below 248 - ninety-nine%!

I see that all the time in posted images and I explained it to the OP as well ... dropping the highlights and the whites in Lightroom turns blow outs to greys ... but the lack of detail remains and the image looks unnatural.

Now you repeat your measurements again. So be it ... I'll ignore the rest because you so clearly want me to be wrong and are not going to be convinced.

So to summarize, the OP posted images with no real detail in several areas. No matter how your perfectly calibrated monitor displays them, there is still basically no detail. The OP admitted to turning down the highlights and anyone who has worked with that stuff for a while knows what that does.

So go bore someone else already ...

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow