can't believe my 5R has lost almost half value in 7 months

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
nannyg
Regular MemberPosts: 194
Like?
Re: can't believe my 5R has lost almost half value in 7 months
In reply to Sir Punk, 7 months ago

Rule #1; All electronics depreciate quickly, in part because they tend to have a rather short life of useful work (3-5 years), and in part because they are supplanted by newer, better models at least every year, if not more often.

Rule #2; Unless you are made of money or are in dire need to purchase immediately, never buy the latest thing shortly after it comes out. You will be giving the company it's largest possible profit margin.

Rule #3; Electronics are not an investment. They always lose value, and lose it quickly. ANYTHING you can get for it on the used market should be considered gravy (note; Lenses are not, by themselves, subject to this rule because they are optics more than electronics).

Rule #4; If it was worth $X to YOU when you bought it, and it still works as it should, then you should use it as you intended and be happy.

I bought an NEX 5n last October after it had already been on the market for a year, got the typical big discount, and am so happy with it I bought another from eBay to have a 2nd body and change lenses less often. I hope they are worth something when I want to sell them, but until then I'll take several thousand photographs and be happy enough with many of them to make the investment worth it no matter the resale value.

Meanwhile, I still have some good e-mount lenses that will work well on whatever version of NEX comes next.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow