Alan_S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,399Gear list
Like?
Re: What advantage?
In reply to VirtualMirage, 10 months ago

VirtualMirage wrote:

I can break down one of the sections for you:

No DRO.

• You can get similar results via tweaking the shadows and highlights on a RAW file. You can enable DRO while even shooting RAW or RAW+JPEG, but the JPEG is only affected and the RAW file only contains the DRO settings in the metadata for supported converters to provide support for it. Currently, only IDC supports it.
  • I don't use it anymore, so I can't say for the newer cameras: but on the older cameras (like the A700) it was shown that if shooting in RAW+JPEG with DRO on that the exposure would sometimes be negatively effected on the RAW since DRO will sometimes modify the exposure to get its desired results. The outcome, the JPEG will show DRO enhancements and the RAW you wanted as the fallback was improperly exposed.

No lens corrections (distortion, vignetting, or CA corrections)

• Actually, this isn't necessarily true. You can turn on lens compensation and shoot RAW and that information is written into the RAW metadata to be used by converters that support it. IDC supports this. For those that don't, there are editors out there offer lens corrections profiles. For lenses with no profiles, you can make your own adjustments. Also keep in mind that this only corrects supported, first party lenses. This in-camera feature will not work for Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, or even Sony lenses that have not been added via firmware (Zeiss 50mm on A77, for example).
  • When the A77 came out with this feature, it was shown that leaving these settings on can slow down the camera, creating longer delays between shots than if left off and post processed later. Something to keep in mind for those that are trying to get quick successive shots in continuous shooting modes.

Good points, all, Paul; and you've pointed out some important JPG "features" that are in fact detrimental to the RAW shooter. Case in point, I was initially very disappointed in my a99's RAW high-speed continuous burst performance (slow, and awkwardly sporadic, definitely NOT 6 fps) until I went into the menu system and disabled lens corrections, DRO, and Hi ISO NR (JPG-only settings that were apparently robbing processing power even in RAW mode). After disabling them it freed up the a99's ability to fire flawless, smooth, 6 fps hi-speed bursts.

-- hide signature --

- AlanS

Alan_S's gear list:Alan_S's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ChetNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow