Gary Eickmeier
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,452
Like?
Re: For what it's worth...
In reply to Alan_S, Sep 3, 2013

Alan_S wrote:

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Alan_S wrote:

I grabbed two RAW/JPG files from the links you had posted briefly... Here's my quick rendition in Adobe Camera Raw (displayed at left in Photoshop at 100%, along with the same crop of your untouched JPG):

-- hide signature --

- AlanS

Well, different exposure choices, nice and sharp, but not a big difference from the JPG. Did you catch the 833 file that was the subject of the long thread?

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

No, saw the JPG version of the other one, but didn't find the RAW file.

Regarding your image above, this is typical of results I see from an average well lit snapshot (RAW vs JPG), and indicative of my earlier statement that I've always (no exceptions, none) gotten a better image processing the raw myself vs the OOC JPG. No, this is not a particular dramatic difference, but in comparison the OOC JPG is dull and muddy looking -- before processing the RAW I didn't even notice the reflected light on the side of the truck and could barely see the trailer number. Pull it up close and you'll see a lot more detail on the left image in the palm tree, the bricks, the vent grid on the brick wall, even the traffic lights. So, when even rather mundane "good light" samples like this show obvious improvements processed from RAW, I just cannot bring myself to waste the card space on in-cam JPGs. I want each image to look the best that it can, and I've found that the in-cam JPG almost never does that for me.

More challengingly lit scenes will provide even more flexibility to extract dramatically more detail, as in this example

-- hide signature --

- AlanS

Yep - that is what RAW is for all right!

-- hide signature --

Gary Eickmeier

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow