Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,000Gear list
Like?
Re: can't believe my 5R has lost almost half value in 7 months
In reply to Kings1, 7 months ago

Kings1 wrote:

Sir Punk wrote:

I have been reading a bit the news on nex rumors and I happened to noticed a post about the 5R being sold for $429

I bought my 5R at the end of January for $700 and now it's probably worth $300 on the used market. I know how much technology depreciates but also my experience with other expensive digital cameras I have owned (one example to LX3) was that the value wouldn't go down so sharply. Not even a year has gone by.

However the camera is, or will be a year old soon. Each camera model has a value depending on how many were produced and sold. Also rebates can play into value

This makes me reconsider Sony for my next purchase of a digital camera with such short product life.

How do you figure a short digital life? Most cameras if taken care will last a long time. In fact I still have my original 1.3 megapixel Sony digital camera, it functions perfectly too....

What are people thoughts on this matter? I am quite upset about it. I always sell my gear and reinvest that money to buy new one but this 5R is going to be quite a financial loss.

I don't buy my equipment to update and sell quickly, so I guess taking a loss isn't a big deal to me. As for lenses they tend to hold their value better than the camera bodies do. I bought into a system and replacing a camera body is a lot cheaper than buying into a entirely new camera system from scratch.

My 2005 Acura TSX will hit 200,000 miles this week. It never occurred to me to be peeved at Acura when they introduced 8 models after that. I love driving the car. 

I have quite a few rolls of 35mm film in my freezer. Every so often, I take out a roll and shoot it through my 1982 Leica M4P. 

I am not bummed out that Leica brought out the M5 (a bomb), an M6, M7, and digital M8 and M9 - except by the fact that I could never justify a digital Leica for my M mount lenses. I made do with a Nikon D70 :-), then a D300 :-), and then a D7000 :-).

Then along came Sony with its NEX-6.

I don't think I'll ever sell it.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow