Advice on Sport Photography Settings for a Nikon D600 with a AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Lens

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AvyJoe
New MemberPosts: 20Gear list
Like?
Advice on Sport Photography Settings for a Nikon D600 with a AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Lens
11 months ago

I recently purchased a Nikon D600 body and AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/4G ED VR lens for photographing soccer matches. Game lighting varies from extremely bright (daytime shots in AZ and NV) to night time shots under spotty lighting. Morning matches in California are somewhere in the middle before the marine layer-burns off (sever overcast). I have had the D600 and lens for about two weeks, and used the camera’s “Sports” Scene Mode during a recent soccer tournament in Southern California. The pictures (taken under bright skies) look decent on my iPad even after cropping. Cropping is necessary given the distance players can be from where I am standing. Another challenge is the lack of a solid background for focusing as I typically stand on the sideline and shoot straight across the field.

With the aforementioned, I would like to take advantage of the U1 and U2 modes to preprogram settings for overcast and night shots. An insight would be appreciated.

AvyJoe's gear list:AvyJoe's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow