70-400 II produce worst images than version I?

Started Sep 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Alan_S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,424Gear list
Like?
Okay, I'll take the bait; have both lenses...
In reply to Condor, Sep 2, 2013

Condor wrote:

Does any of our members have acces to both versions to perform and show us independent comparative samples of several real world subjects.

Haven't done any direct side by side comparison until now (gotta get around to geeing the silver one photographed and advertised for sale!). Just a quick snap from both, manually focused (with focus magnifier) on the center of the image at about 4 meters; on a tripod; taken with two separate a99, same settings, RAW, processed with identical ACR settings... Far from a scientific comparison but about as close as I'm gonna get ! .. and, as expected, I don't see any difference other than the tiniest bit of focus difference with this razor thin DOF and some movement in the grass blades due to the breeze.

G1

G2

they were taken just a few minutes apart... I see the exif shows different -- just checked an in the a99 with the G2 attached I had neglected to turn Daylight Savings 'on' so it's showing an hour early.

-- hide signature --

- AlanS

Alan_S's gear list:Alan_S's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow