What a disappointing situation with the 17mm lens! Why?

Started Sep 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,829Gear list
Like?
Re: How much are you willing to pay, if it existed?
In reply to Optimus47, Sep 2, 2013

Optimus47 wrote:

How much are you willing to pay for this lens, if it existed?

I think that is part of the problem for companies like Olympus.

Seeing that the 20mm is optically excellent, compact and reasonably-priced, it seems to me that it should be possible to offer an updated version of that lens that at least addresses the banding issue without requiring an explosion in cost.

Why was Panasonic able to develop such a lens, but Olympus wasn't able to deliver a lens that matched the Panasonic in terms of size or optical performance?

In the end, you have to decide your customer base and what set of design compromises that your base customers are willing to live with.

The following "good lenses" (or lenses that are expected to be excellent) are on the expensive side.

Oly 75mm $850

Oly 12mm $750

Schneider 14mm est. $1900

The 20mm that you mention is a very good lens; however, at $429, this lens is not without its own compromises in terms of AF speed. The 20mm is a better lens than the 17mm from a sharpness/technical standpoint, but the 17mm is faster, slightly more expensive and arguably has better bokeh.

Compromises - you pick your poison.

So the compromise Olympus is asking us to make is to trade compact size and optical excellence for ostensibly faster focus, 'arguably' better bokeh and a metal body? Again, this may be an acceptable set of trade-offs / compromises for many photographers. For me, however, it is not, and I don't think there's anything wrong with me (or Sergey, or anyone else) making that point in this public forum.

- Hey, I'd like to buy a new Lexus for $25k; however the chances of it happening are pretty low.

I'd like to buy an updated 20mm in which the banding issue is addressed for under $1,000. I don't think you or anyone else has presented a very good set of arguments as to why that's unrealistic, and, therefore, I do not think that your Lexus analogy is at all relevant to this discussion.

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow