What a disappointing situation with the 17mm lens! Why?

Started Sep 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,523Gear list
Like?
Re: Not sure I see what the problem is
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Sep 2, 2013

I've read that it doesn't measure particularly well (i.e. won't be the sharpest 35mm equivalent lens ever made, for example), but does that tell the whole story?  I've just done a Google on reviews of the 17mm f1.8 and those by people who take photos are generally quite positive.  Will it be as good as the lens that come with the X100s?  Well, since the design of that lens is very well matched with the camera and sensor (and is a premium lens to boot), I'd say most definitely no.

If I was in the market for a fast 17mm lens, I'd buy this one.  It isn't perfect, but this seems to be quite well reflected in the cost (as the cost for a wide, fast prime for Micro Four Thirds goes).

If you want absolute perfection, might a suggest a Leica M, and something constructed by magical elves, under a mountain in Germany?

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow