Started Sep 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 3,081
Like?
Re: can't believe my 5R has lost almost half value in 7 months
In reply to parallaxproblem, Sep 2, 2013

parallaxproblem wrote:

Sir Punk wrote:

I have been reading a bit the news on nex rumors and I happened to noticed a post about the 5R being sold for $429

I bought my 5R at the end of January for $700 and now it's probably worth $300 on the used market. I know how much technology depreciates but also my experience with other expensive digital cameras I have owned (one example to LX3) was that the value wouldn't go down so sharply. Not even a year has gone by.

This makes me reconsider Sony for my next purchase of a digital camera with such short product life.

What are people thoughts on this matter? I am quite upset about it. I always sell my gear and reinvest that money to buy new one but this 5R is going to be quite a financial loss.

The 5T launch really is a mystery... if there is a firmware upgrade in the 5T then Sony clearly aren't going to share it (otherwise the recent firmware release would have been better), which wil (or at least should)l annoy existing 5R owners

Well the upgrade on the 5t is minimal, but there is a hardware upgrade, the NFC it is called I believe. It is a small update but it is one. Not one that will any user go and update their cameras, but it is one that is nice for someone who buys a new camera and has an other device that shares this option.

The 5T itself offers no real upgrade over the 5R (except maybe firmware) but effectively devalues the camera that 5R owners have in exactly the way you mention

Well read what I said above, not only firmware! And the orice of any digital camera is dropping after an half year or year, look at any brand, even when no succcesor cames out. I think the 5t is launched to promote that new function Sony (and I believe Samsung) did put in some of their phones.

Therefore Sony is deliberately annoying existing owners with the release of this product, without offering any benefits to new customers with this latest model. At the same time it is more than two years since the NEX-7 was released and there is still no sign of a successor, unless the A7000 is planned to replace it... so NEX-7 owners are frustrated by a lack of progress in their sector

Sorry I'm confused, when the Nex 5t comes out it is to annoy the people and when the Nex 7 does not come with a new camera it is annoying too...

I wonder how manny people buy a camera that cists over $1000, 00 and buy the succesor just a year later... I own a Nex 5 and it still takes great puctures, I'm only updating when something comes out that is a lot better then the camera I own...By the way, the cameras for the advanced users are always slower with updates then the entry level cameras. So for the Nex7x it is to be expected to come out later.

Expecting not to lose on Electronics purchases is being rather 'optimistic' (one might say delusional) but previous NEX releases each 12 months have offered real changes to spec (5->5N->5R). The 5T offers nothing and just creates issues. Very poor on Sony's part

Well the 5t is not for upgraders from the 5r, but new owners may like the xamera too. Look at Canon with their very poor differences between the old and the new version of their cameras...

I think we can conclude that Sony cares little for their existing customers and is now out and actively searching for new and different ones. This is a foolish strategy

I think Sony caresm look at the As FW updates they send out for the A700,, the A900, the Nex 5 etc. Sony  offer a (simple) FW update to the Nex 5r and Nex6, to add new lenses. Would they have done that if they did not care? Then they would have said that only the Nex 5t will support those new lenses...

I wonder why people are so paranoia when something does not happen at the moment they expected it to happen.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow