can't believe my 5R has lost almost half value in 7 months

Started Sep 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,383
Like?
Re: can't believe my 5R has lost almost half value in 7 months
In reply to Sir Punk, Sep 2, 2013

Given the fast advancing pace of technology, you really can't buy a digital camera with any "investment" concept in mind. You need to know beforehand that this is going to happen, and it's not even related to Sony. Here in France people are struggling to sell their Fuji XE-1's kits for over 1050€ mint and with extentded warranties, but said kit sells for 990€ NEW if you know the right places to shop !!

Any digicam bought new will take a very steep hit in value in the following year. The more you go up the price ladder, the less this is true. Pro models have longer life cycles hence retain value better. But once the replacement model has been issued, things go downhill FAST. It's mind boggling to me that I can easily grab a Canon 1D MkIIn now for about 600€ !! Or buy a Nikon D700 for 990€...

One thing we often fail to realize though, is that our depreciated gear still offers the exact same level of technology and delivers the same results than the day we first bought it.

Personally I almost always buy used, minty with warranty remainder, and I've found it the best way to purchase cameras. Otherwise skip a generation and you'll be able to grab amazing deals. I'm considering adding a 5N to my bag now but if I do I'll hunt one down to 250€, I wouln't pay a penny more.

So while I understand you can be upset, there is no real need to be (unless of course you'd be forced to part with your 5R in need of urgent cash, in which case you'd take a horrible and massive hit). Otherwise you can just go on shooting and enjoying your excellent camera. I know whenever Sony finally gets around to upgrading its NEX flagship, my 7 will remain the amazing imaging machine it's always been.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow